Thursday, November 10, 2011

Change, change, change!

After a beautiful three weeks in Dickson, Tennessee, it was time for me to go. On Monday night we got the phone call, and by Wednesday afternoon, we were on our way to "transfers" (read: we just switched up companionships and went on our merry ways).

Of course, despite my being emotionally stable and relatively un-stressed about the task of packing everything up, by Wednesday morning my body felt the added stress of the impending change. And by Wednesday night, I was out. Thursday morning a slight body ache became a little more mysterious (read: I don't know what's going on with my body), and here we are now. In a few minutes, we will begin the 1.5 hour car ride back to Dickson so that I can sing with my former missionary companion at a funeral we committed to attend (before we knew that we would no longer be companions). Then back to my new area. Missionary work sure is exciting!



Amidst these constant up-and-downs, I think back to the sons of Mosiah, who were missionaries in the Book of Mormon:

"And it came to pass that they journeyed many days in the wilderness, and they fasted much and prayed much that the Lord would grant unto them a portion of his Spirit to go with them, and abide with them, that they might be an instrument in the hands of God...

And it came to pass that the Lord did visit them with his Spirit, and said unto them: Be comforted. And they were comforted.

And the Lord said unto them also: Go forth...and establish my word; yet ye shall be patient in long-suffering and afflictions, that ye may show forth good examples unto them in me, and I will make an instrument of thee in my hands unto the salvation of many souls.

And it came to pass that the hearts of the sons of Mosiah, and also those who were with them, took courage to go forth unto the Lamanites to declare unto them the word of God." (Alma 17:9-12)

I may be tired and slightly torn, but I am happy. I am grateful to be serving in my new area with my new sweet companion. And if nothing else, I'm grateful that I probably won't get into the situations that the sons of Mosiah did (like being stripped naked, bound, and cast into prison! If you thought the scriptures weren't exciting, think again!)