Monday, November 14, 2011

Politics? What?

Every so often we enter a home and all the matriarch/patriarch of the home wants to talk about is politics.

Now, keep in mind, I've been on my mission for just about 10 months. That means no television, no newspaper, only the slightest bit of internet use. Basically, if it didn't happen over a year ago, I'm out of the loop. And since people only really talk about things for maybe 2 weeks tops, I'm way out of the loop.

Them: "Did you hear about blah blah blah in California? It's just terrible! You must be shocked!"
Me: "Huh?"

Them: "What do you think about so-and-so running for president?"
Me: "Who?"

And then it usually turns into:

Me: "Have you heard that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been restored in its fulness? That we have a prophet who leads and guides us today, just as in days of old? That families can be together forever?"


I am grateful for the restored gospel because it answers the questions that really matter: where did we come from? why are we here? where are we going? It gives us that road map that otherwise is so confusing. With the Bible and the Book of Mormon together, we can truly find peace, despite political, financial, or natural disasters-- and that is something I will put my vote toward.