Saturday, December 17, 2011

Why I Decided To Serve A Mission: The Complete Story

Summer 2009


The thought of serving a mission initially came to me during the summer of 2009. Initially, I entertained the thought, as I had never had such an impression or desire before. It was the big "What If!" But, as I was dating someone at the time, and I was quite comfortable with the way things were, I ultimately shrugged off the idea.

The break up happened in early autumn of 2009, and then commenced the hardest year I've ever experienced up to that point. It was one thing after another. I'd be kicked down so low, build myself back up, then get kicked down again. This happened about three times during the year. I isolated myself from others and just really, really loved being alone. If I were alone, then I couldn't hurt anyone, right? That was the reasoning, and I grew quite comfortable with that.

In the summer of 2010, driving home to California from Utah, I stopped in St. George and made a quick trip to the St. George Temple Visitor's Center. As I walked in, I noticed a lot of sister missionaries around, guiding guests and being available to answer questions. It was then that it clicked: These young women were my age. Outside of their missions, they, too were probably going to school, had their favorite movies and rock bands, and like to hang out and waste time, just like I did! They weren't perfect. They were just like me, just in a different situation. At that moment it clicked, and that idea of serving a mission came back.

One night about a week later, back in California, I knelt down to pray before bed, and asked Heavenly Father if He still wanted me to serve a mission, and that if He did, I would be willing. The Spirit was so strong as I prayed, and I knew that He still wanted me to serve. An undeniable peace came into my life as I finally made that decision.

Without telling anyone, I met with my Bishop the next week and began working on my application to serve a mission. A couple months later when they were completed and submitted, I finally told my family. In October 2010 I received my mission call to serve in the Tennessee Nashville Mission. I never would have guessed that's where I'd serve, but it was so right.

Spring 2011

Looking back, I know I was supposed to serve a mission at exactly that time. If I had gone the year before, I wouldn't have had those trials in my life to build me up to that point. If I had left even a couple months later, I wouldn't have met some people who I know I had to meet on my mission. They just wouldn't have been there, for reasons of military deployment, health issues, or whatever. The timing just would have been off. I know that God sent me on a mission to the right place and at the right time. God sees a far bigger picture than we can see, and I'm so grateful.

If you are thinking about serving a mission, pray. God will guide you. Even if a mission just isn't in the picture for you right now, there are plenty more opportunities to serve. Pray to be able to see those opportunities. They will come as you have the desire to serve!






Update: Check out these other sister missionaries' stories:
Sister Jensen (and part 2)
Sister Anderson